Cloud, the great equalizer
All things being equal, leveraging the cloud should make large organizations more efficient and small organizations more like large ones. Business of all sizes are looking to the cloud to run smarter, more effective infrastructure, allowing them to be more responsive to the needs of their business and less dependent on their ability to deliver IT. It is no surprise that services in the cloud are attracting customers at an escalating pace.
One of the greatest success stories of the cloud are email solutions hosted as a service, paid for as used and managed through a contractual service level agreement. Simple, easy and straight forward, right up to the management of your data and balanced against your business needs. If simple works, simple is what you get. Unfortunately, managing litigation and personnel risks are not things you can simply outsource to the cloud. No single solution can fit all needs and no simple solution can handle the complexities of today’s realities. Email archiving needs to integrate with cloud email services, but looking to the cloud for email archiving can be a risky proposition.
Working with cloud services
For MailMeter, cloud email services are just another source of email for our on premise archiving solution. By keeping your archive in house, you control who sees your data, manage the performance of long search and export functions, and limit your costs. Advantages of an on premise archive include:
- Support for multiple hosted email solutions including Hosted Exchange and Office 365, among others.
- Maintaining a local archive means that your email is always accessible even during a service outage.
- A local archive eases the transition from onsite email to Cloud\hosted email or from one email provider to another.
- Existing MailMeter customers can migrate to a cloud email service while maintaining consistent naming and access to the archive.
- Importing your history and PSTs to a local archive prior to migrating your email to the Cloud can greatly reduce your migration project costs.
- Multiple searches are responsive, multiple exports are not dependent on network bandwidth and associated charges.
See our announcement of Office365 support here.
In addition to email providers, MailMater can use any URL-based cloud storage service or NAS/iSCSI cloud storage gateway as an archive volume target. Imagine being able to keep only your most recently archived email local with the rest housed with your choice of cloud storage service providers. MailMeter has the ability to tier-manage archive volumes, making cloud storage a serious tool for storage cost containment, and with MailMeter’s high performance pre-indexed search, recalls from the cloud only happen when you need to export data.
For FileArchiver, cloud storage becomes just another destination for archived files. Combined with any URL-based cloud storage service or NAS/iSCSI cloud storage gateway, FileArchiver can extend the value of cloud storage right to the middle of the enterprise by enabling policy-based migration of older files to the cloud while delivering transparent user recall.
To read our announcement with TwinStrata, click here.