Your file server storage usage continues to increase until:
1) one day the backups won’t run or don’t finish in time; or
2) you just run out of storage space.
You can’t manage what you can’t see. If you do not have an easy way to get reports on your file servers’ usage, then it will only result in a fire drill when you are scrambling to find free space when the hardware fills up. What files can you delete? It’s tough going to your boss to justify new hardware when you have no facts or evidence of what happened to all the storage space.
Managing hundreds of gigabytes or terabytes is a big nightmare. Industry statistics show that over 50% of a file server contents are old and unneeded files. Waterford Technologies provides an affordable, easy-to-install File Analyzer and File Archiver tools to tame your Uncontrolled File Server Growth.
Uncontrolled File Server Growth – Best Practices for Management
- Understand what is on your file servers: File Analyzer reporting and analysis gives you the understanding and insight into your file server storage usage. With File Analyzer, you will immediately see how your file storage is being used and wasted.
- Clean Up: File Analyzer gives you reports where you can see the oldest, most duplicates, and clear vision into the “junk” that fills up your file servers. From any report, click on a file or folder and toss it into the trash to remove the files from your file server. Reclaim valuable storage space. You can use File Archiver policies for file archiving to delete files that are old or unneeded.
- Set a Storage Goal and use Automated Policies: File Archiver has automated policies that can free up space on your file servers. Files that are older than a specified time period, unneeded, or unused are automatically moved to a file archive where they are compressed, encrypted and stored for automatic retrieval. You can have different policies for different folders. The original file location contains a tiny 1K shortcut link “stub” that automatically retrieves the file from the archive. You can migrate the shortcut to the new file server. It’s seamless to users. Files are shrunk and deduplicated on to lower cost storage. File Archiver packs your files (compressed, encrypted, deduplicated, single instanced) into folders on low cost storage that reduce your long backup time even more.
“We continue to hear storage administrators talk about how storage is out of control on their file servers,” said Brendan Nolan, CEO of Waterford Technologies. “We are always shocked at the number of organizations that are unaware of how their file server space is being used. Most of the time we find that company’s storage administrators don’t have time for housekeeping and don’t realize how much waste there is. So we created a free tool, Storage Savings Estimator that quickly gives them insight into potential savings that they can share with their management.”
The Storage Savings Estimator gives organizations visibility into their storage issues. There are no strings attached – no need to register or commit to anything. It is a simple and effective FREE DOWNLOAD that will analyze any file path on any file server and produce an estimate of the space savings that can be gained with Waterford Technologies’ “Smart Stubs”.
“Storage space is costly and can add up quickly considering the amount of information users save. Storing multiple copies of large files over several years abuses storage space quickly – resulting in longer backups, servers filling up too fast, and higher management costs. With the Storage Savings Estimator, organizations can instantly see how efficient they are utilizing space and either pat themselves on the back or take action to adjust their storage approach.”
To download the Storage Savings Estimator and become informed about your organization’s storage efficiency, visit www.waterfordtechnologies.com/SSE-FREE.