Well now is the time to do something about it …
Fiona Mulvaney – Waterford Technologies
It’s that time of year and we are all trying to look after our health & keep our new year’s resolutions. From recent conversations with IT personnel it’s also the “health” of our servers that we need to look after…
So what are my options??
- Buy a new server or add more storage
- Do some internal tidy ups
- Cross my fingers & hope problem will go away
- Take control & put a data management plan in place.
Waterford Technologies 5 point exercise plan for your file server:
1.Understand Usage: Who, What, Where, When, How much?
Old files – too busy to clean up?
Unused files – who really needs them anyway?
Unneeded files – ex-employees, old projects, old software?
Duplicate files – how many copies waste space?
Revisions of files – how many are on disk or on backup tapes?
Use Waterford Technologies File Analyzer Lite tool to get a snapshot of your data.
- Clean up – space savings – Manual and automated delete & Quick restores for user mishaps
- Archive – automated policies (Copy, Move, or Stub)
- Automated Retention / Destruction (Backup critical files from remote locations)
- Consolidate – 80% of all data is redundant, Can we consolidate data down to less servers to help reduce management costs
As we all know the storage problem is not going to go away so talk to us today to start the 5 point exercise plan for your file server !