Brian Murphy – Waterford Technologies
– the best ways to manage uncontrollable data growth.
– will help you identify which files are no longer active within your organization and therefore not required on your primary storage tier.
– data is indexed and searchable and it is visible through detailed reports.
– will considerably reduce your backup times.
– is a very cost effective strategy to deal with your data.
– data can be restored quickly.
– addresses compliancy requirements.
The real cost of storing data is actually rising due to the overhead associated with managing that data.
Do you need to archive your data?
Most people have a general understanding of their file server storage issues. Too much space is being used by old files, too many duplicates, and many users keeping too much data.
File Analyzer / Archiver is a tool that gives you a window into file storage. However, you must determine a business decision on what actions you will take
Our best advice is to start small, do not over analyze, set up WatchPoints on folder paths by department or project, review the reports, create simple policies to delete unneeded files, archive files/folders and delete them from your file server, and archive and “stub” (shortcut) files older than a certain date.the data.
-Set up simple policies. Example: Archive and stub all files in a folder path (WatchPoint) older than two years. If you create too many policies you increase your chances of making errors and setting up conflicting policies.